Friday, April 30, 2010

Blog 7: Taxpayers money going to an unworthy cause

Democratic gubernatorial nominee Bill White released in a statement recently about how much Texas taxpayers are paying annually for current Governor Rick Perry's rental home while the Governor's Mansion is being renovated on. We are currently paying $9,000 a month for his rental, shared with his wife, Anita, totalling over $360,000 annually. In a statement released on April 13 and reported by PolitiFact, nominee White gave Perry some advice: Move! He calls for Perry to "set a budget-cutting example" since we are facing a multi-billion dollar budget shortfall. Is it right for taxpayers to be paying for his rent? or should he be paying out of pocket? Living in the Governor's Mansion including the up keep cost doesn't amount to the same for taxpayers, except for 2007 when renovations were beginning. There is no reasoning behind having to live in a million-dollar rental when a smaller home can be just as cozy and comfortable. It gives you all the amenities you need. We are living in a time when the economy is low and budgets are having to be made and the Governor of our State should be the ONE person who should be leading the pack in budgeting. Just as Bill White says, "Everyone else is tightening their belts, why can't Rick Perry?" could it be because he is selfish and feels that since he is Governor he is entitled? Could be but we will never know, we are only left to speculate. Now that one has spoken up maybe it is time we all speak up. I know what I would rather be spending my hard earned tax dollars on and it certainly is not Perry's rent!

2 comments:

  1. This post was both enlightening and persuasive. I was aware that Rick Perry lived in a fancy rental while the governor's mansion is being renovated but I had not been aware that I was helping to pay for it.

    I agree with the sentiment that Perry should be moved to less luxurious accommodations. I see no reason why the governor should have to live in a $9000 a month home surrounded by at least ten backyard pools*(1) when there are so many other options available. How about this amazing $3200 per month 5 bedroom house for rent?*(2) It even comes with a plasma TV so he can watch snakes and coyotes on the nature channel instead of shooting at them.*(3) I'm not sure how big the snakes are down there in Fancy Town, Perryville but I'd wager he won't be needing that laser-sighted pistol for the garter snakes he might encounter at this location.

    Overall I found this post well written and fun to read. It was concise and ended at an agreeable point before cracking open a much bigger can of worms. An expansion on the differences between Bill White and Rick Perry's housing and finances would have been interesting but difficult to organize and condense in a short post.

    *(1) http://preview.tinyurl.com/googlemapofgovernorshouse

    *(2) (Ad may expire or be deleted soon) http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/1733536376.html

    *(3) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/27/rick-perry-shoots-and-kil_n_554397.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The author of the blog Texas My State posted on April 30, 2010 a commentary entitled "Taxpayers money going to an unworthy cause." Anyone who is anti-Perry or leaning against the Governor's reelection would enjoy this posting as well as be able to "here here!" the overall tone and statements. I happen to be one of those who would agree with the overall feeling of the post. Our politicians are elected by the people to be leaders for our state and our nation. As the highest ranking public official in the State, Rick Perry should be leading by example not rolling in the benefits. It may not be as devastatingly apparent in our state, but, this country is going through a huge economic melt down. We're trying to recover as best we can but all around, everyone is cutting back and trying to salvage their lives and families. It pains me to see that something as easy as leading by example, a moral value that most are taught in their wonder and formative years, is difficult for one of the most powerful figures in our state.

    In my opinion, Governor Perry has proved more than once that his interests are not in the State of Texas but in his personal ventures and future. It's not a crime to look out for yourself but when you step into politics, you are stepping into the role of a public servant and to me, it looks like he can afford to hire "the help" with the life he is living. Personally, I'm ready for change. Time will tell if Texas, as a whole, is ready; but, I would like to see someone else try the governorship on for size. I'll have my say later this year and I hope, if anything, my classmates and the people in my life, will take initiative and put their two cents in my voting. I'll take a moment to say that this class has reintroduced me to my civic and personal duty to make my voice heard. I intend to explain the importance of trying to make a difference and getting involved, as best I can, to my loved ones, past, present and future. Thank you for the opportunity to voice my opinion (even if I didn't want to), and I wish everyone luck in their future endeavors. Let's make a difference Texas, I know we can.

    ReplyDelete